Tuesday, February 7, 2006

Obsessive Mothering - Help!

My heart condition is causing my mom a LOT of anxiety. She apparently had a golden retriever who died suddenly from the same type of murmur. So, because of Frasier, mom has seen fit to ruin my sleep cycles. She pokes and prods me at different intervals all during the night to make sure I'm still alive. It's very frustrating. I wish she would stop and even SHE wishes she could stop.

Last night, for instance, I fell into such a deep state of slumber that I began to snore. According to mom, I was drawing in long breaths and making a strange sound as I drew in air, as though it took great effort. This alarmed her and she reacted by jarring me awake violently. "Sparky, Sparky. Are you okay?" Even after I woke up she wasn't satisfied until I came completely out of it. She kept nagging me until my breathing became normal and my eyes focused. She kept feeling around my chest too. I guess she was looking for a heartbeat. "You scared me Sparky" she whispered into my ear when she was satisfied that I wasn't dying. Needless to say, I was never able to achieve that peaceful state again.

I'll never understand my mom, but she does so many nice things for me. I suppose I can overlook her obsessive-compulsive tendencies; at least for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment